#BlackLivesMatter #LBC is a local organizing effort in Long Beach, CA, in solidarity with the national, U.S.-based, #BlackLivesMatter movement (read the herstory and love note). We are a Black-led organization that is queer, women, and working-class affirming and seeks Black liberation, and accordingly liberation for all people. Our demands are majority local, but tie-in to regional, national, and international organizing efforts by #BlackLivesMatter. #BlackLivesMatter #LBC is organized by Taylor T., Kenyon D., Michael B., Diwaine S., Dawn M., and Audrena R. , and we are committed to supporting, growing, and developing leadership from the Black community in Long Beach on an on-going basis.
Guidelines for Our Work
* We are committed to acknowledging, respecting and celebrating difference(s).
* We see ourselves as part of the Global black family and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black folk who exist in different parts of the world.
* We are guided by the fact that Black Lives Matter, all Black lives, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status or location.
* We are committed to embracing and making space for our trans brothers and sisters to participate and lead. We are committed to being self-reflexive about and dismantling cis-gender privilege and uplifting Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.
* We are committed to ensuring that the Black Lives Matter Network is a Black women affirming space free from sexism, misogyny, and male‐centeredness.
* We are committed to practicing empathy; we engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.
* We are committed to fostering a queer‐affirming Network. And when we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking or, rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual unless s/he or they disclose otherwise.
* We are committed to fostering an intergenerational and communal Network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, shows up with capacity to lead and learn.
* We are committed to embodying and practicing justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with others.
We are committed to centering mothers, families, and individuals directly affected by Long Beach Police Department-involved murder, violence, brutality, and harassment in our organizing work, meetings, and actions.
We are committed to the political, economic, and social development of the Black community in Long Beach, and seek to continuously support and develop new Black leadership from the community.
(* = Shared guidelines with the national Black Lives Matter movement)